Dr. Paul Sanghera
Dr. Paul Sanghera is a nationally renowned cataract and refractive surgeon. Having performed more than 25,000 intraocular and 30,000 laser surgeries across Canada, he is recognized as a leader in his field and a pioneer in the use of new technologies. His experience has afforded him the skill and knowledge to cater today’s cutting-edge surgeries to match every patient’s unique visual needs and improve their visual outcomes.
Having completed his bachelor’s degree and medical school at the University of Alberta, where he was on the dean’s list, Dr. Sanghera was also the recipient of numerous awards and scholarships, including the Opal Hess Memorial Scholarship and the Dr. AJ Pauly Bursary in Medicine. Additionally, he was cited as the highest ranked applicant to enter the MD Program in 1997. He then specialized in ophthalmology at the University of Toronto and went on to receive further post-graduate training in refractive laser surgery. In September 2022, Dr. Sanghera completed a post-graduate diploma (PGDip) with commendation in Cataract and Refractive Surgery from Ulster University.
Dr. Sanghera has been actively involved in research since his residency, including a $10,000 research grant from the Glaucoma Research Society of Canada and numerous ongoing projects using state-of-the-art technologies in cataract surgery and intraocular lenses. He has also lectured both nationally and internationally at major ophthalmology conferences. He is currently a lecturer at the University of Toronto, on staff at Mount Sinai Hospital and Kensington Eye Institute, both in Toronto, as well as Stevenson Memorial Hospital in Alliston, ON. Dr. Sanghera is also actively involved in both resident and medical student education across the Greater Toronto Area.
Whether it’s surgical innovations or advancements in processes, technologies, services or products – innovation is at the very heart and soul of our culture. Our belief in continuous improvement means we’re never satisfied with anything being less than it can be.
Dr. Paul Sanghera
Dr. Sanghera is considered a pioneer in the use of new technologies to improve visual outcomes in surgery. Among his many other accomplishments, Dr. Sanghera:
- Has performed over 25,000 intraocular surgeries and 30,000 laser surgeries
- Is one of the first two surgeons in Canada to use the RxSight Light Adjustable Lens
- Is one of the first surgeons in Canada to perform laser cataract surgery
- Is one of the first surgeons in North America to use trifocal intraocular lenses
- Is one of the few surgeons in Ontario trained in Collagen Crosslinking (CXL) and T-PRK for treating keratoconus
- Is one of a select few Canadian surgeons to have graduated with commendation from Ulster University’s prestigious post-graduate diploma in Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Co-created and chaired Canada’s first laser cataract surgery teaching symposium